An Oasis in the Food Desert

I was thrilled to read on Hyde Park Progress that a gourmet food store, Zaleski & Horvath Market Cafe, will be opening near me this spring. The owners of said store are also writing a blog about their progress; their trials with the Byzantine Chicago zoning board are eye opening and definitely worth reading.

Ever since the 47th Street Co-Op closed, there hasn't been a place in K-Wood to get really good food. There is a janky Sav-a-Lot at 47th and Cottage Grove, and a little corner store, One-Stop Food & Liquor, at 43rd and Lake Park. I've never been to One-Stop because it's out of my way, but I hear that although the owner tried to bulk up the produce selection after the Co-Op closed, he simply doesn't have room for many choices.

The Sav-a-Lot is fine if you just need basics, such as milk or potatoes, but there aren't many spices to speak of, much of the merchandise is off-brand, and you have to bag your own groceries. My family shopped at Aldi's when I was a kid, and this Sav-a-Lot makes Aldi's look like Whole Foods in comparison. It ain't good. So I'm dying for the Z&H Market to open. It'll be so nice to get decent cheese and deli meat without having to leave the neighborhood.

Comments

just me said…
Aldi's is trying to become a little more upscale, would you believe? I bought some prosciutto there not too long ago because I couldn't find it at Kroger!
Foxy Knitter said…
I've heard that from another person, too. They've recently been airing some commercials touting their higher-end products. Unfortunately, there isn't one close enough to me to be practical for everyday shopping. I'd have to rent a car and make a special trip over there.
Zig and Lou said…
OK, this may be against my best interests, but Aldi is the parent company of Trader Joe's. Interesting, some of the the items at Trader Joe's are also rebranded at Aldi's. Fun fact: The word 'Aldi' is a combination of the owers (two brothers) parents names, Al and Di.
Foxy Knitter said…
Z&L: I had heard that about Aldi's and Trader Joe's being part of the same company but didn't know for certain. I don't think you'll have to worry about competition from them. The Hyde Park NIMBYs won't let another chain store in the 'hood. :-)