Why Do I Entertain?

Every time I have a party, there comes a point, usually a day or two before, when I'm feeling totally overwhelmed by all the stuff I have to do and I think to myself, "Why am I putting myself through this? I must be crazy to try to host a party. Maybe I should cancel...." Fortunately, the feeling passes, I pull myself together, get things up and running, and end up having a good time once the party starts. So why do I keep doing this in spite of the headaches and expense? Here's a list of reasons (I'm sure I'll think of more later):

(1) All my friends are so busy that having a party is often the only way I'll get to see them. I get tired of hearing "We should get together sometime," and then never getting together because no one can find an open date in their schedule. So I take the initiative, pick a day, issue the invites, and see who's available.

(2) I enjoy having a chance to mark my own and my friends' special achievements and life events with a celebration. In particular, I like celebrating the things that, unlike a marriage, don't usually get a socially sanctioned party, such as a job promotion or the adoption of a child.

(3) The holidays are so much more fun if you can spend them with people you like--which may or may not include your family.

(4) I like to bring together people who normally would never see each other and who may have nothing in common. It's always interesting to see the dynamic and hear the conversation that result. It's my little social experiment--throw together some sparkling personalities, some good listeners, and a few wild cards and see what happens.

(5) Finally, as Sally Quinn wrote in her book "The Party," the main purpose of entertaining is just to have fun. You don't need much more of an excuse than that.

Comments