Entertaining on a Budget

Unfortunately, too many people think that entertaining means having to serve caviar and champagne and that, therefore, they can't afford to entertain. The truth is that most people are thrilled just to be invited to your house, since so few people entertain at all. So let's think about ways to entertain on a modest budget (like mine).

First, I host a lot of potlucks. Some people think it's tacky to ask guests to bring their own food, but I think it's a great way to sample a lot of different things and to get people to participate in the planning of the party. Besides, all my friends know that I don't make a lot of money (most of them are in the same boat) and are understanding about the fact that I can't afford to feed all of them at once.

Second, consider hosting an afternoon tea or a wine and cheese party, rather than a full meal. For afternoon tea, all you need is a cake or a couple of batches of cookies and some tea (be sure to have some coffee or lemonade on hand for the non-tea drinkers). For a wine-n-cheese party, it's obvious--all you need are a couple of bottles of wine, a few good cheeses, and some crackers. If you want to get fancy, set out some olives, mixed nuts, and salami, too.

Third, when you do host a sit-down dinner, consider making a vegetarian main dish, such as eggplant parmesan. Meat is expensive, and a big pan of eggplant parmesan or vegetable lasagna can feed a lot of people for not a lot of money. In addition, so many people are vegetarian nowadays that it's almost easier to make a vegetarian main dish than one with meat, because you end up making lots of extra veggie side dishes anyway to accommodate the vegetarians.

Finally, don't worry about having lavish decorations or centerpieces (unless you're hosting a wedding reception--in which case, you're on your own, toots). If you really want fresh flowers, buy just a couple of lilies or roses and put them in a small vase in the center of the table. I can't have fresh flowers in my place because the cats will eat them, so I usually just light some candles to create a warm, cozy atmosphere.

Remember, the guests are there to visit with you and enjoy your company and conversation. Good food is important, to be sure, but your true friends don't expect you to break the bank trying to impress them.

Comments

Jennifer said…
Just wanted to say I'm enjoying reading your blog - daibh pointed me in your direction and I'm going to get my partner to come and have a read when she gets off the phone, as she loves being the hostess and a lot of what you say will strike a cord, besides being very entertaining (excuse the pun). What a long sentence.
Foxy Knitter said…
Thanks for the kind words, Jennifer! I'm glad you're enjoying my ramblings. ;-)