Hospitality as a Lifestyle

When I was growing up, I assumed that everyone entertained as much as my parents did. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized how rare such hospitality was, even 30 years ago. It seems to be even rarer today, so I'm grateful that I had my parents, particularly my mom, as an example of how to entertain. Mom really was "the hostess with the most-est," and she continues to be my inspiration.

My mom was a woman of extremely generous spirit, and so she maintained an open-door policy. Someone was always popping by our house, and she never failed to offer them tea (hot in the winter, iced in the summer) and a snack. At dinnertime, there was almost always someone besides our immediate family there, whether a relative, friend, or neighbor. We had one rather eccentric neighbor who often managed to find some (highly transparent) excuse to drop by around dinnertime, because she knew that my parents would never turn her away. My siblings and I were actively encouraged to ask our friends to come over for dinner, as well. Mom's motto, which she got from her mother, was, "You can always put more water in the pot to make the soup go further." It was a point of pride with those old Kentuckians never to send someone away at dinnertime.

At least once a month, Mom would invite a family from our church to come over for Sunday Dinner, a lavish affair involving a giant piece of meat (usually a ham or a pot roast), mashed potatoes (there were always mashed potatoes, because no Sunday Dinner could be complete without them), a vegetable (my favorite were green beans with bacon and onion), homemade biscuits or rolls, and a rich dessert. Those invitations were always accepted gratefully (even though only a few people ever reciprocated) because everyone in the church knew what a great cook my mom was.

In addition, several times a year my folks would host a big potluck or barbecue and would invite everyone in our church, along with all our friends, relatives, and the families for whom my mom babysat. We had a huge back yard, so there was plenty of room for a grill (or a bonfire, for our annual Halloween party), tables, and chairs, and for the kids to run around and play. Those potlucks were a big hit; people rarely declined an invitation, so we never had fewer than 30 guests. One of the things I dislike about city life is not having the room to entertain outdoors like that. Perhaps some day....

Through it all, my parents did not have much money. In fact, there were times when they barely had enough to get by, but hospitality was important enough to them that they made the sacrifice and reached out to others even when it was difficult. This is the example to which I aspire, the model I hope to emulate by practicing hospitality as a lifestyle.

Comments

Foxy Knitter said…
Robyn: Thank you. That means a lot to me.
Daibh: HAHAHHAHAHAH! You're so right.