My Daily Bread

Most Saturday mornings, I bake a loaf of whole-wheat bread to be used for my breakfast throughout the coming week. The reactions I get when I tell people that are hilarious. They seem to think that it isn't possible to bake bread at home if you don't have a bread machine. Are they not aware of the fact that people began baking bread approximately 10,000 years before the invention of the bread machine? This just goes to show how divorced most Americans are from their own kitchens and from the food they eat. Baking bread is not hard and you don't even need special equipment, just your own hands. I will confess that I like to use my standing mixer to knead the dough, but that's just to save time. Before I got a standing mixer, I kneaded it by hand. It's very soothing and meditative.

However, this weekend I decided that I needed a change of pace, so I made a batch of pear-ginger muffins instead of the whole-wheat bread. Let me tell you--I really enjoyed my breakfast this morning. I also have some homemade biscuits in my freezer because I made biscuits and gravy for dinner last night. In my opinion, B-n-G is food of the gods. I don't make it often because it's so fatty, but it's a wonderful treat. Next week I'll go back to the healthy wheat bread routine, but this week, it's a biscuit and muffin extravaganza at my house!

Comments