Report from the SDP Laboratory

Tried 1 new recipe and modified 2 old ones this weekend.

Experiment #1: Gingerbread Waffles
I found the recipe in Sylvia Lovegren's "Fashionable Food: Seven Decades of Food Fads." The recipe dates from the 1930's. Those Depression-era people must've really loved molasses, because the molasses taste was more intense than I liked. Don't get me wrong--the waffles were good, and I ate them with gusto (but no maple syrup), but when I make them again, I'll definitely cut back on the molasses and add some more ginger and cinnamon.

Experiment #2: Turkey Meatloaf
I've made turkey meatloaf before, but this time I did it without the bread crumbs (simply because I didn't have any on hand), and the results were not spectacular. The meatloaf tasted fine, but the texture was all wrong. It was too dense and greasy. From now on, in my house, no meatloaf shall be made without breadcrumbs, as God and Grandma intended.

Experiment #3: Potato Pizza with Bacon and Caramelized Onions
I've been making potato pizza for several years and have done several variations on it. (I use the recipe in Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" as a starting point). This is the first time that I've added bacon, however, and the results were outstanding. I prepared the potatoes and crust as usual, then cooked some bacon until crispy and then cooked the onions in the bacon fat. When it was time to assemble the pizza, I put the onions on the crust first, then the potatoes, then the bacon, and then the cheese. I didn't put any herbs on it, just a little black pepper. It smelled great while it was baking and tasted even better. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! This one is a keeper. Potato pizza also makes a great appetizer for a party. Just cut it into small squares, rather than large triangles, and put them on a platter. It's a big hit every time I serve it.

Comments