Digression: Knitting

Last night as I was walking into my building's courtyard, I bumped into a neighbor. We chatted for a few minutes, and then he admired my scarf, which I finished just 2 weeks ago. I thanked him and said that I knitted it myself. He said, "Really? My girlfriend knits, too!" I swear, half the world knits now.

Later in the evening, I went to my informal knitting group. The woman who gives me a ride has been working on the same dang sweater for the entire year that I've been part of that group. It was originally intended to be for her older son, but now I think he's outgrown it and her younger son will have to wear it. I do think she's close to the end, though, and it'll be weird not to see her sitting there with that red wool in her hands.

I worked on a sweater that I hope to sell. I might even try to get the pattern published, since I'm designing it myself. It's going to be slevelees, with a cowl neck and a somewhat see-through dropped-stitch section near the bottom. I figure the dropped stitches are a classy way to show a little skin. I hate that baby tee/low-rider pants look. It's so unflattering, even to skinny girls. It cuts the body in half in exactly the wrong place and just looks sleazy. Anyway, when I finish the sweater (and if I can figure out how), I'll post pictures of it here.

I also showed another member of the group how to knit while holding yarn in both hands. I had mentioned this technique before with regard to a question someone asked me about doing stranded colorwork, and she didn't believe that such a thing was possible. She was extremely impressed that I could actually do it and wasn't just blowing smoke.

Sunday I have my knitting guild meeting. I think I'm the youngest member there; everyone else is >50 years old. Those meetings are fun, but nothing ever gets accomplished. Those ladies just want to eat and talk, not conduct business. I always feel badly for the guild president when she tries to get the members to pay attention and discuss serious business. It's like trying to herd cats. I'm glad it's her and not me.

Comments

Foxy Knitter said…
Yeah, you can't pose in knitting. Either you can do it, or you can't, and the results are tangible. It's not like these people who claim to be poets and writers but never produce anything.