Spur-of-the-Moment Weekend Entertaining

It was bitterly cold here in Chicago this past weekend, so I didn't leave my apartment from Friday evening until this morning when I headed out to work. A friend and I had planned to see a movie yesterday afternoon, but I called her in the morning and said that, as much as I'd like to see her (and get out of the house), I wasn't going to stand outside in sub-zero wind chills waiting for a bus. Public transportation here on the south side is a joke, even on the best of days, let alone a frigid Sunday.

So we started tossing around ideas for doing something later this week, but soon realized that there weren't any mutually acceptable days. I finally said, "Well, why don't you just come over for dinner tonight?" She has a car, so getting around the city is much easier for her than it is for me. I made pork chops with a mustard-maple sauce (yes, it's the same recipe for the chops I made on Big D's birthday--I happened to have all the ingredients on hand), green beans with toasted pine nuts, and mashed potatoes. She brought a lemon cake with raspberry filling for dessert, and it went really well with the stuff I made. We also opened a bottle of riesling; I love riesling because it goes with almost anything. It's amazing what we can accomplish when we put our heads together. Even though it was planned on the fly, we had a wonderful meal that was perfect for this cold weather.

Comments