Digression: Knitting

Sunday I went to a meeting of the Hyde Park Knitting Guild. We did our annual yarn exchange, in which you give yarn to someone else so they can make an item for you and return it to you at the Christmas meeting in December. Last year we made scarves for each other. I have to say that I was very disappointed in the scarf I got, because (a) I gave the person some really beautiful mohair-blend yarn, and (b) despite the fact that she's a very talented knitter, she made a very plain scarf with my yarn. She obviously put no thought into it whatsoever. I've seen her work and know that, if she had tried, she could've done something really spectacular with that yarn.

This year, our club president decided that we'd make handbags for each other. So I brought this pretty cotton/rayon blend yarn that has a bit of shimmer to it. I brought black and white yarn, thinking that the recipient could make me a little evening bag.

Even though the process is supposed to be anonymous (you don't know who gets your yarn, and you don't know whose yarn you're getting), I happened to be sitting near the club president and the secretary as they were handing out the yarn and recording who received each bag. So I was dismayed to see that my yarn went to this crazy woman whom I try to avoid at all costs. She's really irritating and never ever shuts up. I also think she's not a very good knitter, so I could only imagine what ugly thing she would make with it.

Luckily, though, she was sane for once and admitted that she wouldn't know what to do with the yarn and gave it back to the president, who then gave it to someone who is more talented and creative. Unfortunately for the irritating woman, since she wasn't willing to make a bag with my yarn, that meant that she had to take back her own yarn and won't get a bag in December. She actually seemed shocked that the club president made her take her own yarn back. Did she think she was going to get another club member to make her a bag for free? Guess again!

The yarn I got appears to be wool, but I'm going to have to test it to make sure it's not a synthetic fiber. If it is wool, I'll probably make a totebag and then felt it, which is most likely what the person is hoping to get. I have until December to do this, though, so it can wait a while. I need to finish up some other projects first (at last count I had 7 unfinished projects on the needles).

Comments

Gold Pink Leo said…
I just discovered your blog and I find it very interesting and amusing. You now have a faithful reader :)!
Foxy Knitter said…
Thanks! Do you mind if I ask how you found me?