How Do I Love Peapod? Let Me Count the Ways

My next wine-and-cheese party is just a little over a week away, so I've already been thinking about what I'm going to serve and making a grocery list for a Peapod order. (Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Peapod in any way. I'm merely a very satisfied customer.) I don't have a car, so grocery shopping for a party can be a huge pain. I let Peapod do the work for me instead.

First, there's only so much I can pack into my li'l-old-lady grocery cart, and then there's the matter of getting that overloaded cart on and off the bus and then hauling it up 2 flights of stairs. I have enough problems with my back as it is, so I don't need to be doing any heavy lifting.

Second, because Peapod is a service of Jewel food stores, the prices and weekly specials are the same as those at Jewel and are quite reasonable. For those of us stranded in the Hyde Park area and held hostage to the Hyde Park Co-Op, Jewel prices are a huge bargain in comparison. I often say that the HP Co-Op has Whole Foods' prices but without Whole Foods' high quality. Worst! Grocery store! Ever!

Finally, if you consider the time spent in the grocery store, both trying to track down elusive items and waiting in line to pay (the HP Co-Op is notorious for its long check-out lines), the $6.95 Peapod delivery fee really starts to look like a bargain. It's so much easier to spend 10 minutes of my lunch break placing an order on-line and then having a strapping young man carry my groceries up the stairs for me. Life is too short to waste time in an ugly grocery store!

Comments

just me said…
Tell me about it! I love my Meijer store, but I usually spend more time standing in the check-out line than I do shopping for the actual groceries!
Foxy Knitter said…
How can those ninnnies afford to shop at Whole Foods on editors's wages??? Oh, wait, I know--they've both got sugar mamas to pay the bills. *grrrr*