Invitations: Part 2

Although I do use Evite quite often, I occasionally splurge and mail out paper invitations. As Daibh noted, I can't afford high-quality, custom-printed cardstock. Instead, I collect boxes of blank notecards whenever I find them on sale. Hallmark often puts cards with discontinued designs on a sale shelf; sometimes you can get them for half of the original price.

Museum stores are another great source for pretty blank cards that can be used as invitations. I've noticed that, after a special exhibit ends, the Art Institute discounts cards and other items related to the exhibit so they can make room for items related to the next one. That's when I snap up those cards for 25% off the original price. So if you don't mind sending out Monet cards long after the Monet exhibit has ended, this may be a solution.

For my annual holiday potluck, I go to Marshall Field's after Christmas and buy holiday-themed invitations that are heavily discounted and then save them for the next year. The only problem with this method is that, after a year has lapsed, it can be hard to remember where I've stored the invitations. I try to keep all my stationery in one place, but things sometimes get lost in the shuffle.

The cheapest paper invitations you can use are postcards; obviously, this is only a step up from an Evite, so I don't use them for serious occasions. They're cheaper to buy than boxed note cards, and the postage rate is lower, so you save money coming and going. I always keep an eye out for weird, funky postcards and keep a supply on hand. People seem to enjoy them, too. I've gotten a lot of positive comments about postcard invitations. So, if you prefer paper invitations to electronic, you can do it cheaply without looking cheap.

Comments