Easter ramblings

My plans for Easter dinner are coming together nicely. I have a leg of lamb in my freezer right now, awaiting a bath in a garlic marinade, and I just placed my Peapod order for the rest of the groceries I'll need. So far, it looks as if I'll have 3 adult guests and 2 children (a couple of people still haven't responded), and one of those guests is a vegetarian, so I'm guessing I'll have plenty of lamb left over. That's OK. I ordered a bag of white beans so I can make lamb and white bean stew next week.

Here's my final menu:

Appetizers: basil leaves stuffed with goat cheese and toasted pine nuts and (maybe) some deviled eggs

Main course: roast leg of lamb

Side dishes: wild mushroom risotto and roasted asparagus (my favorite way to cook asparagus is to drizzle it with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, sprinkle it with salt/pepper, and then broil it)

Dessert: white velvet cake with white chocolate/cream cheese frosting and raspberry filling

The Peapod delivery will come Saturday morning, and then I'll bake the cake that afternoon. Everything else can wait until Sunday afternoon. I think I'm all set. Now I have to clean my apartment....

Comments

Foxy Knitter said…
See? Your birthday won't completely suck after all. ;-)
just me said…
That menu sounds awesome. I'm going to my aunt's house for Easter dinner. She's making turkey, homemade noodles and mashed potatoes. Carbohydrate overload! No Atkins dieters in my family, that's for sure.
Foxy Knitter said…
Atkins sucks! Turkey and mashed potatoes sounds good to me. *drool*
Mentok said…
Hi. Sorry to drop by uninvited and all.

Could you tell me what variety of basil you use to achieve goat-cheese stuffed leaves? I imagine the leaves must be reasonably large.
Foxy Knitter said…
I think it's a brand called "The Herb Garden." It's the only one they sell through Peapod and my local grocery store, so it's pretty much all I can use. I used 2 packages to get ~25 leaves. Yes, the leaves have to be at least medium-sized. The tiny ones just won't hold enough goat cheese.
Foxy Knitter said…
DC: Glad you liked the asparagus! Speaking of "poik" tenderloin, I made a huge PT roast last Saturday. It was really good, especially with the potatoes I roasted along with it.