Rice Pudding

Lately my sister has been waxing rhapsodic over this fat-free rice pudding she found at the grocery store. She uses it to reward herself after she's done a certain number of miles on her cross-trainer. It got me thinking about how I haven't made rice pudding in years, so I dragged out my low-fat cookbook and made rice pudding for breakfast this morning. As a change from the traditional, I decided to make it with mango-flavored dried pineapple, instead of raisins. The results were good, but not as great as I had hoped. Frankly, the pineapple was much sweeter than I had anticipated. I should have cut back on the sugar significantly. And the pineapple didn't soften up as much as raisins do; it was a little on the chewy side. Still, it was worth the effort. It was comforting to eat something warm and nourishing on a cold morning.

Comments