Clafoutis

Yesterday I bought some cherries at the farmers' market, so last night I made a clafoutis with them. It turned out beautifully. I had pulled the recipe from an old issue of Food and Wine magazine (June 2005). I'm glad I kept it. It was extremely easy and very tasty. The custard/cake is sweet, and the cherries are nicely tart, despite the fact that I didn't have any lemon zest. I didn't have brandy, either. I used triple sec instead. Oh, and I didn't let the batter rest before baking the cake simply because I didn't want to wait that long. Also, I baked it the old-fashioned way, with the pits still in the cherries. It's less work and the cherry juice doesn't stain the cake or make the batter runny. Here's the recipe.

1 pound cherries
1/4. C. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1/2 C flour
pinch of salt
3 large eggs, beaten
2 C. milk
3 T butter
2 T brandy
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
confectioner's sugar for dusting (optional)

Spray a deep-dish 9-inch-square pie tin with cooking spray (or you can butter it). Drop the cherries into the tin. Melt the butter with the milk, either in the microwave or in a saucepan. Mix all the other ingredients into the milk. If you wish, let the batter rest for an hour before you bake the cake; it's supposed to be fluffier that way. Pour the batter over the cherries. Bake at 425 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the top is dark golden brown. It will puff up like a souffle but will fall as it cools. Dust with the confectioner's sugar, if desired. Let it cool a little before serving.

Comments