Secret Ingredients

Any cookbook worth its kosher salt will have a list of pantry staples you should always have on hand, such as rice, dried beans, pasta, and canned tomatoes. I definitely keep all those things stocked in my cupboard, along with my secret weapons: the 5 ingredients that always add that little something extra to make a dish truly memorable.

1. Soy sauce. I use it in lots of dishes, not just Asian ones. In particular, it's a great addition to sauces and glazes. It takes the place of salt and adds a smoky depth to the sauce that you wouldn't get otherwise.

2. Rice vinegar. This mild vinegar is great for making salad dressings and for sprinkling on cooked vegetables, especially spinach and kale. I also have used it to make pickled vegetables. Finally, it's also good for sprinkling on anything fried; it cuts the greasiness but doesn't leave a sour aftertaste.

3. Truffle oil. Yes, it's expensive but you only use a few drops at a time. There's no better way to put the crowning touch on a risotto or pureed root vegetables than with a little truffle oil. Like soy sauce, it adds depth of flavor to a dish. Be sure to store it in the fridge because it will go rancid very quickly in the cupboard.

4. Dijon mustard. I love this stuff. It's wonderful for thickening salad dressings (so you can cut down on the amount of oil) and for adding zest to sauces. I also like to coat chicken or pork chops with it, roll the meat in breadcrumbs, and then bake it. It's simple but very delicious.

5. Maple syrup. Sometimes sugar is too sweet and honey is too thick. That's when I turn to maple syrup for a mildly sweet taste. In fact, I prefer maple-Dijon sauce to honey-Dijon sauce any day of the week. I use it for chicken, pork, and salmon. Maple syrup is also wonderful combined with balsamic vinegar and poured on strawberries.

That's all for now. Buen provecho!

Comments

Daibh said…
I approve of all of your staple flavor-enhancers. I always have plenty of coarse black pepper handy, ample garlic, and basil -- that can get me out of most cooking jams.
Foxy Knitter said…
Yeah, those are all staples for me, too. I originally thought about doing a top-10 ingredient list but I really didn't have the time, so I cut it in half.
Daibh said…
Hahah -- I feel your pain, Sug!