More Farmers' Market Adventures

I finally used that elk meat I got at Green City and made a stew with it. The elk is tasty but a little tough. It's much leaner than beef; in fact, I couldn't even render enough fat out of it to cook the shallots and had to add some olive oil to the pot. Still, I really liked it and probably will buy more--perhaps a steak next time.

I've been to the Daley Plaza market a few times already. The week before last I got some mustard greens and fingerling potatoes. I cooked the greens with some bacon and rice vinegar, and then I roasted the potatoes and some salmon fillets with a mustard-dill glaze.

Finally, today I went to the very first Bronzeville community market. There were only a few booths selling food. I got some strawberries and some chocolate-covered cashew crunch. The other booths had clothing, jewelry, and crafts. There was some interesting, beautiful stuff, but I was hoping there would be more produce. Maybe there will be more vendors as the season goes on.

Comments