The Poor Woman's Le Creuset

For years now I've been coveting a Le Creuset enameled cast iron casserole pot. They're extremely versatile and beautiful; they can go from stovetop to oven to table. I've been especially enamored of the newer kiwi green pots. Unfortunately, these pots cost hundreds of dollars.



So last week when I was taking a walk during lunch break, I happened to stroll past the Linens'n'Things at the corner of Rush and Ontario and saw that they're having a going out of business sale. I went in and found a Rachel Ray enameled cast iron casserole on sale for only $39.99--far cheaper than the $175 that Le Creuset charges for a pot of the same size.



I inaugurated the pot that night by making fesenjan, a traditional Persian chicken stew. The pot performed well and was easy to clean afterward. I'm very happy with the purchase.

Comments

meg said…
u go girl! i love that stuff. i have a couple blue le crueset pots i registered for when i got married. the only thing is, they're so frickin heavy, i don't use them that often. you should marry strawberry man so you can get free strawberries and also le crueset gifts! also, fyi - TJ Maxx often has le crueset for pretty cheap. :)
Foxy Knitter said…
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to stop at TJ Maxx one of these days on my way home from work.

Believe me, if a miracle occurs and I get married, I'm registering for the most expensive cookware I can find. :-)