Back-to-Back Holiday Potlucks

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope everyone is putting on their eatin' pants in anticipation of the big feast today. I'm participating in a potluck with a couple of friends, and we have an amazing menu planned for tonight:

Butternut Squash Bisque
Turkey with Brown Sugar & Mustard Glaze
Mashed Potatoes
Corn Casserole
Creamed Spinach
Stuffing
Cranberry Sauce
Sage-Pancetta-Fontina Cheese Biscuits
Pie (pumpkin, chocolate chess)
Wine

I'm responsible for the turkey, the biscuits, and the wine. Since there are only 4 of us, I'm just making a turkey breast, not a whole bird. I got a pre-brined breast from Empire Kosher. I know that it's better to brine the bird yourself, but I'm a busy woman and not above taking some shortcuts once in a while. The biscuits are possibly my favorite biscuits ever, and I'm pretty sure I've mentioned them in a previous blog post; I got the recipe from Epicurious, and they're simply amazing. I could eat a whole batch by myself. Finally, I'm bringing a bottle of riesling and a bottle of shiraz. Riesling is always good with poultry, and shiraz will go well with the spices of the pumpkin pie.

Next week is my own holiday potluck, and at the moment I have no idea what I'm going to make. I spent most of last night going through food magazines looking for new recipes and saw one for cheese-pecan balls that looked interesting. I also need a main dish; I was thinking perhaps eggplant parmesan would be good, but a variety of pizzas might be fun, too. I always worry that the vegetarians won't have enough options, and with pizzas, I can make a couple with meat and a couple without. Finally, for the dessert, I can't decide whether to make my traditional rum cake or try something different. You can't go wrong with brownies, especially if you spike them with a little Kahlua. Whatever I decide, I'll post the final menu. In the meantime, I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!

Comments