Super(Bowl) Guacamole

I'm not into football at all, but I did attend a Superbowl party last night. My contribution was chips and guacamole. I don't think I've ever posted my recipe for guacamole before, but if I did, just ignore me.

2 or 3 avocados
3 cloves of garlic, minced very finely or shredded
juice of half a lime
salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste

Mash up the avocados with a fork or potato masher. Mix in the garlic and lime juice. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne until it's as hot as you want.

Here are a few tips:
1. It's best if you make guacamole at least 4 hours ahead and let it sit in the fridge so the flavors can blend together. You want to give the garlic a chance to infuse the fat of the avocados and mellow a bit.

2. If you don't want to buy a lime and use just half of it, bottled lime juice is OK, too, but then I'd recommend that you use hot sauce, instead of cayenne pepper, for the heat, so you get some additional acid from the vinegar in the hot sauce. The acid helps cut the fattiness of the avocados and it keeps the guacamole from turning brown. Fresh lime juice is much more acidic than the bottled stuff.

3. I use a mini cheese grater to shred the garlic. No one wants to bite into a big chunk of raw garlic.

4. When you buy avocados, they should be firm, but not rock hard. When you press on it with your thumb, it should give just slightly.

5. Safety first! When you cut open an avocado, a little brown on the outside next to the skin is OK; just cut it off. But if it's brown all the way through, don't use it. You don't want to get sick, and brown avocados are just unappetizing anyway.

6. Finally, feel free to experiment with the seasonings. Sometimes I make guacamole with chili powder, instead of cayenne pepper. It has a nice smoky flavor.

Every time I make this guacamole, people go nuts over it and say it's the best they've ever had. Hope you enjoy it, too!

Comments