Farmers Market and Other Food News

The rain stopped long enough yesterday that I was able to go to the Bronzeville market. There were just a couple of vendors, since it was the first day and, presumably, because it rained all dang morning. I got some nice veggies, but the prize of the day was some beautiful blackberries. I plan to make waffles for dinner tonight and make a sauce out of the berries. Can hardly wait!

In other food-related news, I'm still attending Grub With Us dinners. The last one was at Kiki's Bistro, a lovely French restaurant. When we arrived, the famous jazz pianist Ramsey Lewis was sitting at a table across from us. I tried not to stare, but my eyes kept wandering over that way. He's just as handsome and elegant in person as he is on TV.

Anyway, the meal at Kiki's was note-perfect from beginning to end. For appetizers, we had fricassée of mushrooms sauteed in a Madeira wine sauce, traditional mussels Marinièr, the house salad (mixed greens with a Dijon mustard vinaigrette), and a beet salad with mixed greens, green beans, toasted almonds and walnuts in a hazelnut vinaigrette. The entrees were salmon, Kiki's Roasted Chicken au Jus, traditional lamb stew with potatoes, green beans, carrots and turnips, and steak with pommes frites. I'm a fiend for the garlic butter they serve with steaks at French restaurants. Finally, for dessert, they served chocolate mousse, a lemon tart with raspberry sauce, an assortment of fruit sorbets, and homemade ice cream. The caramel ice cream was the best; it had that wonderful almost-burnt sugar taste that I love. It was a fabulous meal, and I was more than stuffed by the time I walked out. I would go back to Kiki's any time.

Comments