Smoked Macaroni and Cheese

A few weeks ago, I had an anxiety dream in which I was asked to cook a huge meal for a lot of people on short notice. I decided to make mac and cheese, because it's easy and feeds a lot of people. But when I went to put it in the oven, the oven was broken. This was the anxiety part of the anxiety dream. Then I looked out the window and saw that someone was cooking on a grill, so I decided to put the pan of mac and cheese on the grill and bake it that way. In the dream, it was delicious. Turns out, it's equally delectable in real life.
I told a friend about my crazy dream, and she invited me to come over tonight and make smoked mac and cheese on her grill. We both loved it. Even her picky kids liked it. If you have access to a grill, you need to try this. Just make mac and cheese using whatever recipe you like, and put it in a heavy-duty pan (I used my cast iron skillet) and then put it on a grill. I bought a packet of mesquite chips at Walgreen's to give it some authentic smoke flavor. We covered it and let it smoke for about half an hour, and that was it. Seriously, if you make this at your next cook-out, people will be singing your praises.

Comments