Crockpot Beef Roast

Have I mentioned that I love my crockpot? I have a beef roast bubbling away in the crockpot right now, and it smells incredible. I can hardly wait to eat it. This is a really easy way to cook a cheap piece of meat and make it super tender and tasty. I'm using a 2-pound chuck roast that I cut into about 8 big chunks, primarily because it fits better into the crockpot, but also because cutting it provides multiple surfaces for browning. I dredged the beef chunks in flour (seasoned with salt and pepper) and browned them in some olive oil in a big skillet. I put the browned beef into the crockpot and then started the sauce in the same skillet. The sauce starts with a chopped onion and a few garlic cloves (you don't need to mince the garlic cloves, just smash them to get the skin off). Then I added some chopped portabella mushrooms, about 1/2 a pound. I let the vegetables cook for about 10 minutes to sweat out the water. Then I added a tablespoon of tomato paste and cooked that for a few minutes to caramelize it. Then I added a 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes, a splash of worcestershire sauce, and a cup of red wine. I seasoned it with some oregano, salt, and pepper, but you could use whatever herb or spice you like with beef. I brought the sauce to a boil and let it thicken for a couple of minutes, stirring the whole time. Finally, I poured the sauce over the beef, popped the lid on the crockpot, and turned it onto the high heat setting; it should be done in about 4 hours. Obviously, if you have more time, you can put it on the lowest setting and let it cook longer, which will develop even more flavor. I plan to have mashed potatoes and some roasted golden beets as side dishes. It's going to be a great dinner.

Comments