Fennel Orange Shrimp Salad

I bought a fennel bulb and then started looking through my cookbooks to decide how to cook it. I found several recipes that combined fennel with orange, so I figured it must be one of those classic culinary combos. This recipe was inspired by some of the ones I found in my books.



For the dressing:
juice of 1 orange
vinegar or lemon juice (optional)
3-4 T olive oil
2 tsp Dijon mustard
dash of sugar
one minced shallot
salt and pepper to taste

For the salad:
12 large shrimp, cooked and cooled (I used frozen ones and thawed them)
1 orange, peeled and sectioned
1 fennel bulb, sliced thinly or shaved on a mandoline
2 T chopped toasted pecans

I find that some oranges are very sweet and not acidic enough, which is why I recommend having some white wine vinegar or lemon juice on hand. Mix up your dressing and then taste it. If it's too bland, add some more acid. If it's too acidic, add sugar or more olive oil. You could even add a dash of hot sauce if you like. Don't be afraid to experiment. Once you like the dressing, pour it over the salad ingredients and enjoy.

Comments