Watermelon Popsicles

Last month my nephew and his mom visited me for 6 days. In anticipation of their visit, I bought a set of popsicle molds from Amazon, thinking that making frozen treats would be a fun food project for a 5-year-old boy. As I hoped, he loved it; I even had a set of molds sent to their house along with a recipe book so he can make his own concoctions. Since their visit, I've been experimenting with different recipes, including strawberry-banana-yogurt pops and lemon-lime-peach pops. The latest, and definitely the greatest, have been the watermelon pops.



I took Mark Bittman's recipe from the New York Times and tweaked it a little. First, I added a dash of salt. I love watermelon with salt. It really enhances the sweetness. Then I added some fresh mint and about a tablespoon of rum. The results are phenomenal--not too sweet with just a hint of tartness. Get yourself some popsicle molds and try this recipe. You'll be glad you did.

Comments