End-of-Summer Bounty

This morning I went to the 61st Street farmers market, as I typically do on Saturdays. The produce at this market is always gorgeous. Today I got kale, peaches, cherry tomatoes, various peppers, and some organic pork steaks.



The kale will be cooked tonight in a sort of bougie version of Hoppin' John. I'll use bacon instead of ham hocks and the kale instead of collard greens. One of the booths today had collards but they didn't look very fresh. It's my own fault for sleeping in late and not getting there until things had been pretty much picked over. Anyway, I already have some black-eyed peas and rice on hand, so it's all good to go.

The pork steak and peppers will be cooked together with balsamic vinegar. Pork and peppers is a traditional dish that I've come to love over the years. I'll probably throw the cherry tomatoes in with the peppers. Those golden tomatoes are so sweet, like candy.

Fresh peaches are glorious this time of year, so these peaches most likely will be eaten out of hand. I also like to put them in yogurt and use them for peach pancakes. They're also good cooked in the morning oatmeal.

The only disappointment about the market today is that the flower guy wasn't there. I love buying myself a fresh bouquet every week, so I was not happy that he was gone. I hope he's back next week.

I hope you're enjoying this last weekend of summer. As much as I hate to see the farmers markets end, I also look forward to the hearty fall and winter cooking ahead of us.

Comments