Recipe: Green Bean Frittata

This is a dish I created on the fly when I realized that I needed to use some fresh green beans quickly before they wilted or got slimy. It was an experiment that turned out very well, so I'm sharing the recipe with you.

1 pound green beans, trimmed
1 T canola oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 large eggs, beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper
1/2 cup grated cheese (I used cheddar and parmesan)
12 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
salt and pepper

NOTE: I used a 12-inch cast iron skillet for this. If you use a smaller skillet, you might need to use fewer beans or cook it longer under the broiler. Your skillet must be oven proof.

Heat the canola oil in a skillet until hot and shimmery, then add the beans. Season with salt and pepper and cook, tossing frequently, until the beans start to get black spots on them and are wilting. Add the garlic and cook for just a few seconds, until the garlic becomes fragrant. You don't want it to burn. Turn off the heat, and pour the eggs evenly over the beans. Sprinkle with the cheese. Then lay the tomatoes on top of the cheese. Cook the frittata under the broiler for 3-5 minutes, until the cheese is brown and the tomatoes are blistered.




I ate this entire thing in one sitting; it looks big, but it's very thin and mostly vegetables, and it's the only thing I had for dinner that night. If you paired this with a rustic bread, hearty soup, and dessert, you could easily get 4 servings out of it.

Comments