Recipes: Lemon Popsicles and Corn-Tomato-Basil Salad

Every summer I break out my set of popsicle molds. It's a lot of fun to experiment with different recipes and I like that I control the amount of sugar in them. This recipe is the easiest: make a batch of lemonade (I use 1 C fresh lemon juice, 3 C water, 1/2 C sugar, and a little of the zest), pour it into popsicle molds, and freeze. Et voila!




As always, you can make things more interesting by adding a fruit-flavored liqueur or infusing the lemonade with mint before pouring into the molds.

I love cooking with the fresh produce from the farmers' market this time of year. I make this corn, tomato, and basil salad a LOT in the summer. It's a great side for just about anything, but I really like it with salmon.




The best part is that you don't have to turn on your oven to cook the corn. Clean 4 ears of corn, wrap them in waxed paper, and roast them on a plate in the microwave for 5-7 minutes (all microwaves vary, so cook them until the kernels give a little when you press on them). Let them cool before handling.

While the corn is cooling, make a vinaigrette dressing with lime juice, olive oil, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper (I can't give you exact measurements for any of that because I just wing it, taste, and adjust). Throw in a minced shallot or scallion if you like. Then add some cut-up tomatoes and fresh basil. When the corn is cool enough, cut it off the cob and add to the salad. Toss to coat everything well. This salad is best at room temperature so it's great to take to a picnic or barbecue.

Comments