8th Annual Nondenominational Holiday Potluck

I'm still trying to recover from my annual holiday potluck last weekend. The party itself was effortless; it's the preparation and the aftermath that's the killer. As my sister said, "You spend days cleaning and scrubbing to make your house look presentable, and within 3 hours, it looks worse than it did before, and now you have an even bigger mess to clean up." Of course, she hosted the Christmas party for her Great Dane club that same weekend, and those Dane owners really know how to cut a rug. I'm surprised her house is still standing.

My party was much tamer in comparison. The most exciting part of the evening was waiting to see who would make it through the freak snowstorm and arrive in one piece. Two of my guests had to cancel because of the bad weather. In all the years I've been hosting this party, this is the first time that we've had weather bad enough this early in December to affect attendance. One of my guests (whom I won't embarrass by naming) actually got lost because of the poor visibility and was ringing the buzzer at a building down the block. My neighborhood is still a little rough around the edges, so he's lucky he didn't get robbed or worse.

In spite of the weather-related problems, I think the party was still a success. My guests brought great food, and the conversation was spirited. I can't wait 'til next year!

Comments