Wine-n-Cheese Party

Back in the fall of 1999, a friend of mine and her boyfriend (who's now her husband) hosted a wine and cheese party after work on a Friday afternoon. We gathered at their apartment, set out some cheese, fruit, and crackers, opened a few bottles of wine, and commenced having a spectacular time. There was great energy in the air, and the conversation and laughter never lagged. It was one of the best parties I've ever attended and has since passed into legend among our mutual friends. We still talk about it, even 6 years later. In fact, in October of this year, I was telling a co-worker about it, and she replied, "Well, why don't you throw a party like that yourself?" I said, "You're a genius!" and promptly sent out Evites.

The date was November 11: I asked everyone to bring a bottle of their favorite wine and/or some cheese to share. I also set out typical cocktail party food (e.g., olives, mixed nuts, peppered salami, and even some gourmet chocolates). One of the things that got the most compliments was a platter of crumbled goat cheese drizzled with honey and sprinkled with walnuts. I set out rosemary crackers to go with it, and people gobbled it like there was no tomorrow. One woman brought some amazing apples; I'm not a fan of supermarket apples, but these were great--juicy and flavorful.

I had seven guests. We sat around my dining room eating and drinking until about 9:00, when someone proposed going out for dinner. They all helped me clean up, and then we went to Cedars of Lebanon on 53rd street for dinner. A few days later, I had dinner again with 2 of my guests, and they were still raving about my party, so I have high hopes that it will pass into legend along with the 1999 wine-n-cheese party.

Comments

zerry ht said…
Good to know about your wine and cheese party. Last month, I arranged a cocktail party with my friends at one of beautiful lofty spaces. Hired an expert party caterer who prepared quite delicious food for event and we enjoyed a lot there.