This 'n' That

Big D's birthday dinner went well. He was enthusiastic about everything except the chili-roasted sweet potatoes, which was the dish I thought he'd like the best. Go figure. He loved the chocolate mousse, however. The recipe (which is from the latest issue of Everyday Food) was supposed to make 4 servings, but it barely made 2 servings for us, chocoholics that we are. In any case, it was nice to spend some time with him. We don't get to see each other very often because of his insanely hectic schedule.

I plan to stay holed up at home this weekend and do some major cooking (we're suppposed to have 4-8 inches of snow by tomorrow morning, so it's not as if I'll be missing anything by staying indoors). I have ingredients on hand to make red beans and rice with Cajun sausage, kung pao tofu, potato pizza, chicken noodle soup, and a chickpea and artichoke stew (which sounds weird, but really is good). I suppose I should bake a loaf of bread, too. I love having a freezer that's stocked with meals that just need to be popped in the microwave, for those days when I'm exhausted and don't feel like cooking.

I finally finished the dairy chapter of Harold McGee's "On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen" (thanks to Just Me for giving me this amazing book for Christmas!). The section on cheese is absolutely fascinating. He includes illustrations of milk molecules and shows how they change as the bacteria and enzymes turn the milk into cheese. Next up is the chapter on eggs. I love eggs. How do vegans cope without them? If I couldn't eat eggs, my life would not be worth living. Let's hope I never develop an allergy to them. *fingers crossed*

That's it for this week. Have a great weekend!

Comments

Foxy Knitter said…
Mmmmm...pinto beans and cornbread. *drool* Can I come over? ;-)

I got the Cajun sausage from Peapod. I think it's Amy's brand. Yes, I think that Everyday Food mag is worth the money (it's a really cheap subscription anyway). My favorite feature is where they have a complete menu for one meal, and they include the shopping list, so you don't have to make one.