Eating on the Road

I'm in Tacoma, WA, visiting a good friend of mine. Yesterday she and her husband took me out to breakfast at this place called Southern Kitchen. I was skeptical that they could do a really authentic southern breakfast here in the Pacific Northwest, but I stand corrected. It was great food. The best part of my breakfast were the home fries (big chunks of fried potatoes) covered in grilled onions and sausage gravy. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

For dinner last night, we did the authentic maritime thing and went to a seafood place called Duke's. We went during happy hour and got the cheaper, half-size portions of several dishes. I got a bowl of their "Award-Winning Clam Chowder." It was really good, I have to admit.

I don't know where we're going today. If it's good and/or interesting, I'll update this post accordingly.

UPDATE: Yesterday we at breakfast at home and then when to a cafe for lunch, which wasn't anything memorable. We had dinner at a local pizza place, and having come from Chicago, I wasn't sure if I'd like the 'za out here, but it was really good. The restaurant is called The Rock, and all the pizzas are named after rock songs. We got the "Sweet Emotion" pizza; it's called that because the red sauce has brown sugar in it. I wasn't sure if I would like it, but it turned out to be pretty good. The sauce didn't taste very sweet at all. However, I found their description in the menu to be a bit misleading, because they said the onions were caramelized, but they weren't. They were barely cooked, not even brown. Other than that, the pizza was good and I ate my share of it.

Comments

Foxy Knitter said…
And you can be assured that I kept pronouncing it that way.
Angie said…
You'd be in trouble with Mayor Quimby if you didn't..despite my admiration for a certain political family I can't imagine liking it as I don't like sea-food...the other things you describe sound gorgeous.
Foxy Knitter said…
Yeah, if you don't like seafood, then no matter how good the chowdah is, you aren't going to enjoy it. ;-)