A Nice Change of Pace

This weekend I get to be the guest, instead of the hostess. Tonight a group of friends and I are going out for Ethiopian food, and then we're going back to the house of one of the gals for drinks and dessert. It'll be nice to have someone else serving me for once. Then tomorrow I'm taking the Amtrak downstate to my sister's place for her big 4th of July bash--which actually is going to take place on the third, so that everyone has time to recuperate before going back to work. I know she'll put me to work helping her fix the food, but at least I don't have to pay for it. And she bought some fancy beer for me because I don't like the cheap stuff, so I can't complain too much.

I forgot to mention last week that I made pecan shortbread for a potluck hosted by one of the women in my knitting group. Everyone liked the shortbread, but I ended up with quite a bit left over because there was a also a lovely chocolate birthday cake for one of the little boys in attendance, and everyone wanted to try a slice of that, too. So on Monday I took the remaining shortbread to work, where it didn't last long. Word of my baking habits has leaked out, and people stop by our pod regularly to see if there is any food on the table.

I don't have any parties or potlucks on the horizon. I'll have a houseguest next weekend, but since we'll be going to the Taste of Chicago and then to a birthday party at a Mexican restaurant on Saturday, I don't have to worry about cooking anything beyond breakfast on Sunday morning. If I'm feeling ambitious, I'll make waffles or pancakes.

Comments

Foxy Knitter said…
I know! I should've kept my big mouth shut. ;-)