I'm Always up for a Challenge

A friend and I recently signed up for a program with a local farmers' cooperative (yes, I'm aware of how "crunchy" that is) in which you get a bag of fresh produce every other Friday for $8. I got my first bag this past weekend and was surprised by how much was in that bag for that price--a big head of lettuce, a head of broccoli, a pound of baby carrots, 3 apples, a bunch of bananas, 1 orange, 1 lemon, a couple of onions, and a gigantic sweet potato. So my challenge was to use up as much of it before it starts going bad. A good friend (Just Me) was up for the weekend, so I used the broccoli (sauteed it with garlic and olive oil) and the sweet potato (mashed it) along with a pork tenderloin to make lunch for us.

Next, I used some of the lettuce and the carrots to make a big salad. I used the juice from the lemon to make a vinaigrette dressing for the salad. I also used the zest from the lemon to add to some rice pudding.

The onion went into a pot of lentils and rice. The apples came to work with me as afternoon snacks, and the bananas were eaten with breakfast. I still have some of the carrots left, and there's no way I'll finish all that lettuce, but in general, I'm proud of myself for coming up with some uses for all that stuff on the fly.

Comments

Daibh said…
Nicely done, UDG!