Wedding in British Columbia

A few weeks ago I went to Canada for the wedding of a dear friend. The wedding was held at the Domaine de Chaberton winery in Langley, BC, just a few miles north of the US-Canada border. It was, by far, the most elegant wedding reception I've ever attended. They kept it small (I think there were only 45 people there), so they were able to go a little higher end on the food, which was amazing. The chef there, Fredrick Desbiens, truly is an artist.

We were given a menu with several choices for the appetizer, soup, and entree. The appetizers included a salmon salad, a shrimp dish, and a warm spinach salad with caramelized onions and bleu cheese (my choice). For the soups, we could choose lobster bisque (that was a no-brainer for me, because I love lobster) or a curried red pepper soup. Finally, the entree choices included chicken, beef burgundy, halibut, or lamb shanks in an apricot sauce (my choice). They also served potatoes with sour cream and chives. Everything was perfectly cooked and seasoned and very flavorful. I savored every bite. Just the memory of that meal is making me hungry right now.

The dessert was a chocolate mousse; they didn't have a traditional wedding cake because the bride is allergic to wheat gluten. I can say that I really didn't miss the cake because the mousse was perfect, with just the right blend of intense chocolate flavor and creaminess.

Of course, the wine was from the winery itself and went perfectly with my meal. I didn't bring any back with me because I didn't want to risk having the bottles break on the plane and I didn't want to go through any hassles at customs. It's too bad the winery doesn't ship to the United States, because I'd love to order a case. But I guess the wine is just going to have to be another great memory of a beautiful wedding reception.

Comments

Daibh said…
I think Sasquatch is rumored to live in BC!