It's That Time of Year

The holiday madness is upon us. I made the mistake of going to Target yesterday--Black Friday. The store wasn't so crowded, but people drove like maniacs in the parking lot. I'm lucky I made it out alive. I've already been busy with holiday baking, too. We had a potluck at work last week, and I made brownies with white chocolate chunks. At the end of the day, I had just 2 left. Then for Thanksgiving I went to another potluck and brought a chocolate cake covered in orange-chocolate ganache. Everyone seemed to be pleased to have an alternative to the pecan and pumpkin pies (not that those weren't good, of course, but not everyone likes pumpkin and some people are allergic to nuts), and I got a lot of compliments.

So now it's time to think about my own annual holiday potluck. I mailed out the invites last week and have gotten a few responses. I've been so busy with a second job that I briefly considered not having the party at all this year. Frankly, I'm exhausted. But a few people asked me about it and seemed really excited, so I decided to forge ahead. I may just have to cut back on work hours that week in order to get everything done. It'll help, too, that a friend visiting from out of town will be here the day of the party to help me get things organized. She has a flair for decorating and such, so I know she'll have some useful ideas.

Beyond holiday parties, I've been cooking a lot of hearty, cold-weather food for myself: short ribs braised in red wine (the recipe was in the October issue of Everyday Food), roasted chicken with winter vegetables, and baked salmon with butternut squash. I haven't started baking bread yet, however. That's a sure sign that winter is here.

I'm sure the next time I post will be after my potluck, so until then, happy eating!

Comments

Daibh said…
I mailed out the invites last week and have gotten a few responses.

Hey, I didn't get one! D'oh! Let us know when and where, and we'll be there.