The Interminable Winter

Easter is only 3 weeks away. It's almost impossible for me to believe it. I look out my window and see nothing but snow and ice on the ground--which is all I've seen for weeks and weeks on end. In fact, I can't even remember what Chicago looked like when it wasn't covered by snow. Was the grass green? Were there flowers? I swear, this bitter, unending winter has wiped my memory clean of better times.

And I haven't even begun to think about my annual Easter dinner. Whom should I invite? What will I serve? Actually, I think this year's dinner will have to be a potluck, because I'm losing my job just 11 days after Easter and I can't possibly afford to cook a full meal for a big group. Not this year. People will just have to pitch in and help me. That's one thing about being laid off: you can't be ashamed to ask people for help because it's not something you can survive on your own.

Maybe it will be warmer by Easter. Maybe the snow won't be so deep. And maybe I'll feel better about the prospect of being unemployed. At least, if I'm not working, I'll have more time to experiment in the kitchen and blog about it, right?

Comments

just me said…
No snow in the forecast so far. And no more worries about collecting unemployment. You should have a great holiday!
Foxy Knitter said…
Yeah, I think it'll be a lot of fun. I'm just relieved that everything worked out.