Welcome to No-Flavor Country

A few weeks ago, one of our vendors took a group of us from my office to lunch at one of the nicer chain restaurants in River North. As we waited for our food, we discussed food (cuz we were all hungry), and one of the guys told us about his family recipe for pico de gallo, which calls for habanero peppers instead of jalapeno peppers. Most of us were enthusiastic about the idea of super-hot pico de gallo, but one woman piped up and said that she couldn't take anything so spicy. In fact, she doesn't like any kind of spice at all. A chill fell over the group, and we all stared at her in silence. Finally, another woman said, "You mean you don't even cook with spices?" And the first woman said, "No, just seasoned salt. I don't even like black pepper." I said nothing. What could I say? Clearly, her tastebuds are dead or nonexistent. Makes me sad just to think about it.

Comments