New Heights (or Lows) of Decadence

Bacon is one of my favorite foods, but I don't eat it often for health reasons. I tend to use it mainly as a garnish or flavoring in other dishes, but I rarely just cook and eat plain old bacon. But the last time I did, I decided to save the bacon fat in a coffee cup in the fridge, just like Mamaw used to do, and I've used it a few times to saute some stuff, and it made me remember how wonderful Mamaw's cooking was. She put bacon fat in everything. I know it wasn't healthy, but it was amazing.

Another of my favorite foods is popcorn, and I like to make the real stuff on the stovetop, not that nasty microwaved junk. I've experimented with different oils, and my favorite is peanut oil. But the other night, I decided to make my popcorn in bacon fat instead of vegetable oil. Un-freakin-believable. It was the best popcorn I've ever had in my life. I only used a teaspoon or so of bacon fat, to 2 tablespoons of popcorn kernels, so the popcorn wasn't greasy or soaked in bacon fat. The bacon flavor was subtle but oh so tasty. I will definitely be splurging on the calories and making popcorn in bacon fat again.

Comments