Book Review: The Heart of the Plate

For Christmas, my sister got me a copy of The Heart of the Plate, by Molly Katzen, one of the authors of the Moosewood Restaurant cookbooks. I've had a Moosewood cookbook for years that was given to me by a friend, and several of the recipes have become staples in my repertoire. I'm not a vegetarian, but I am trying to cut back on meat and incorporate more veggies in my diet, so I was very excited to get this new cookbook, with lighter vegetarian recipes. I've tried two dishes so far--eggplant with figs and blue cheese and pasta with rapini and a creamy walnut sauce--and they were both phenomenal. I have several more recipes bookmarked to try soon. Katzen has managed to come up with some really creative pairings and ways to present and season veggies, which is often a problem for me, because I have a tendency to revert to the salt-pepper-butter standard I learned in childhood. I highly recommend this book. I have the hard copy, not the Kindle edition, so I can't comment on whether it translates to an e-book well. Happy new year and happy vegetarian cooking!

Comments