Summer Seemed to Last Forever

We didn't have a particularly hot summer this year, but it lingered on and on. It was warm (and even hot on many days) well into the second week of October here in Chicago. As a result, it has been hard to get excited about fall baking, so I haven't done much of it. I did manage to whip up some jalapeƱo-cheddar cornbread.




I paired that with some fried green tomatoes. Yes, southerners really do eat these things. They are food of the hillbilly gods!




I had a birthday recently, and a friend gave me a set of Star Wars cookie cutters to use when I bake Christmas cookies with my nephew (yes, those are kitty paws in the upper left-hand corner of the photo).




She also gave me this cookbook. I am excited to peruse it and try a few recipes, now that the weather is finally cooler.




Finally, I really like apple cider donuts but I don't like to deep-fry at home. It's too messy. So I found a recipe for apple cider donut muffins.




They turned out pretty well but the cider flavor wasn't strong enough and I think the recipe has too much nutmeg in it. Next time I'll cut back on the nutmeg and maybe add some shredded apple to see what happens.


Comments