Holiday Treats: Giving and Receiving

Yes, 'tis the season for lots of homemade goodies to be exchanged among friends and for church bake sales. Our church bake sale was this past Sunday, and we raised almost $1700 to be donated to the music program of a nearby public school. I made peanut butter cookies (the round things on the left) and smoked paprika crackers (the rectangular-ish things on the right).




The cookies are gluten and dairy free so I thought they would sell out quickly, but they didn't. Maybe people assumed that gluten free also meant taste free. I think they're great cookies. I make them fairly often and everyone loves them. The crackers were the surprise hit. They sold out immediately, and I've already had a couple of requests for the recipe. The recipe is from Mark Bittmann's How to Cook Everything, and you should get yourself a copy if you don't have it already. It is my mainstay cookbook.

A couple of dear friends, Eden and Craig, are making Irish cream this year, and they gave me a huge bottle of it.




It's really good, but that's way too much for me, so I've already decanted quite a bit of it and passed it along to more friends. One of my friends gave me the idea of freezing it and mixing it with ice cream. I'm definitely going to try that.

Comments