Everyday Food: Recipe Review

As promised, here are my notes on the stuff I cooked last weekend; all the recipes are in the latest issue of Everyday Food. The lentil soup with kale was top-notch. It's flavorful and filling. I'm keeping that recipe. Next time I make it, I'm going to try it with Swiss chard. The butternut squash pasta sauce was also very good, mainly because I loaded it up with garlic. The recipe called for cream, but I didn't want a fatty sauce, so I used low-fat milk instead. It was still nice and thick and went well with the store-bought cheese tortellini. I had plenty of sauce left over to freeze and use in the future. Finally, the pumpkin bread was OK but nothing spectacular. I have an older recipe that involves walnuts and cream cheese and is much tastier. I don't think I'll be making this one again.

This weekend I'm going to dust off the crockpot and make beef stew using a recipe given to me by a friend of my mom's. It's not low-fat or healthy, but it's wonderful comfort food. I think I'll make cornbread to go with that. My birthday is next week, so I'll make some brownies to take to work the day after, not on my birthday. I never work on my birthday. It's a longstanding policy of mine. What else? Oh, I think I'm going to make pasta with pesto and chicken. I suppose I need to make one more thing for the coming week but I can't decide what it'll be. Guess I should go look in my cupboards and see what I have.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Comments

Foxy Knitter said…
I'm trying to organize a Chilifest at my new workplace, but no one seems to be terribly interested in it. Losers.
just me said…
"Everyday Food" is the bomb! Whenever I pick up an issue I always see at least 7 or 8 recipes I want to try.
Foxy Knitter said…
EF is a great mag. I used to subscribe to Food and Wine, but I got tired of their lifestyle and travel articles. It's supposed to be about the food, people!